Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Some Fine Day by Kat Ross [audiobook] - Ashley's Review

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Some Fine Day
Author: Kat Ross
Publication Date: November 11th, 2014

Kat's Top Ten Hybrid Creatures SMACKDOWN
Kat's Top Disaster Movies
My Some Fine Day Pre-Reading

Synopsis: A generation ago, continent-sized storms called hypercanes caused the Earth to flood. The survivors were forced to retreat deep underground and build a new society.

This is the story that sixteen-year-old Jansin Nordqvist has heard all of her life.

Jansin grew up in a civilization far below the Earth’s surface. She’s spent the last eight years in military intelligence training. So when her parents surprise her with a coveted yet treacherous trip above ground, she’s prepared for anything. She’s especially thrilled to feel the fresh air, see the sun, and view the wide-open skies and the ocean for herself.

But when raiders attack Jansin’s camp and take her prisoner, she is forced to question everything she’s been taught. What do her captors want? How will she get back underground? And if she ever does, will she want to stay after learning the truth?


-------------------------------------------------------------


Review: THIS BOOK. I am still kicking myself for waiting so long to read (listen to?) this book. I knew it was going to be good, but I had no idea just how masterfully Kat Ross could tell the story that needed to be told. Some Fine Day took me on a rollercoaster of feels, and I'm still not sure that I'm over it. 

Usually, audiobooks drive me crazy. They're too slow and such a huge time commitment that I would rather just read the book in a few hours. Luckily for this one, I had a long drive and was able to sit through it without getting distracted. I'm very glad I listened to this audiobook, because it forced me to take my time and digest everything without being able to skip ahead to make sure certain characters were still ok or to find out what would happen next. This narrator was also excellent, and as she was telling the story, I could just imagine that Jansin was actually the one repeating this crazy adventure. 

Some Fine Day starts out at a pretty decent pace - we're introduced to Jansin and her family, and to her world that exists within the Earth. We learn a little bit about the hypercanes and why they're so dangerous. And then we're taken to the surface, and things take off. After the first couple of chapters, this is a non-stop ride that had me hanging on to the edge of my seat for dear life. Which is pretty much what Jansin has to do, because her world is turned completely upside down. There is a romance that is pretty central to the plot - it affects how Jansin acts and what decisions she makes - but it does take a while to build up, and it felt very natural to me. 

I really do love Jansin. She's brave and stubborn, and she's willing to do whatever it takes to survive in a world where everything she's been told is a lie. She adapts quickly to new situations, and even when she loses all hope, she at least goes through the motions until she can figure out something more productive to do. She's an incredible heroine, and she's willing to go to incredible lengths to protect the people she cares about. 

Some Fine Day is a gorgeously written, thrilling adventure that will have you flipping pages as quickly as you can. Or waiting desperately for the next chapter if you're listening to the audiobook. There were several moments when I was glad I was listening instead of reading, because I definitely would have thrown the book. Kat Ross puts her characters through hell and back, and almost brought me to tears so many times. I would totally recommend this book to anyone who is looking for an end-of-the-world sci-fi. 5/5! I can't wait to find out what Kat has up her sleeves next! 


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment