Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (audiobook) - Paul's pre-reading

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads | Audible

Title: The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Year Published: 2011

Narrator: Jim Dale
Audiobook Length: 13 hours 39 minutes

Synopsis: The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night. 

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.

---------------------------------------------------------


Why?: This is one of those books that I've seen in the bookstore and picked it up, browsing so many times. I've always been interested in reading it so when I was looking for an audiobook for a long car drive, I picked this one! I've heard it has a Harry Potter feel to it. And circuses are always interesting with the many social outcasts that inhabit its tents. 

Expectations:  I'm expecting a magical duel that covers a vast area and time. I'm hoping for some interesting characters with some cool abilities.   

Judging a book by its cover: I really like this cover. The black and white with pops of red really catches my eyes. The circus itself being in a hand is also very intriguing.    


--PAUL

2 comments:

  1. I am dying to know how you feel about this book! I'll be checking back for the review for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The review will be up Thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete