Thursday, March 6, 2014

Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky #3) by Veronica Rossi - Ashley's Review


Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky #3)
Author: Veronica Rossi
Year Published: 2014

My Into the Still Blue (#3) Pre-Reading 
My Through the Ever Night (#2) Review
My Through the Ever Night (#2) Pre-Reading 
My Under the Never Sky (#1) Review
My Under the Never Sky (#1) Pre-Reading
My Roar and Liv (#0.5) Review

Paul's Through the Ever Night (#2) Review
Paul's Through the Ever Night (#2) Pre-Reading 
Paul's Under the Never Sky (#1) Review
Paul's Under the Never Sky (#1) Pre-Reading

Synopsis: 
The earth-shattering conclusion to Veronica Rossi's "masterpiece" Under the Never Sky trilogy and sequel to the New York Times bestselling Through the Ever Night (Examiner.com).


Their love and their leadership have been tested. Now it's time for Perry and Aria to unite the Dwellers and the Outsiders in one last desperate attempt to bring balance to their world.

The race to the Still Blue has reached a stalemate. Aria and Perry are determined to find this last safe-haven from the Aether storms before Sable and Hess do-and they are just as determined to stay together.

Meanwhile, time is running out to rescue Cinder, who was abducted by Hess and Sable for his unique abilities. And when Roar returns to camp, he is so furious with Perry that he won't even look at him, and Perry begins to feel like they have already lost.

Out of options, Perry and Aria assemble a team to mount an impossible rescue mission-because Cinder isn't just the key to unlocking the Still Blue and their only hope for survival, he's also their friend. And in a dying world, the bonds between people are what matter most.

In this final book in her stunning Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi raises the stakes to their absolute limit and brings her epic love story to an unforgettable close.

--------------------------------------------------------


Review: Holy moly, guys. This book was everything I hoped it would be. It was action and adventure and romance and mystery and danger and fantasy and just everything I wanted it to be. I've loved this trilogy from the beginning, and I am so glad that this last book did it all justice. The ending was perfect, the characters are incredible, the world building is fantastic, and the Still Blue is what I wanted it to be. I could go on and on and on about how incredible this book (and the whole trilogy, really) is, but I'll try to keep it to a manageable length. 

One of my favorite things about this book was the character development. We've seen Aria and Perry change and grow and mature over the course of the whole series, and they still continue to do that here. They have to make decisions and choices that are unlike anything they've ever dealt with, and I really did not envy them for most of the time. They make mistakes, but they learn from them and try not to make the same mistakes again. Their relationship has its snags, but they work things out because they love each other. They trust each other and the decisions they make, and understand the reasoning when they might not agree or might have wanted another outcome. 

But you'd expect all that from the main characters, right? My favorite part of the character growth was in the secondary characters - in Soren, Roar, Jupiter, and Brooke. The characters that we know, but haven't necessarily had a chance to experience yet. Soren has always been the kid that got Aria into this whole mess to begin with. He's a Dweller that cannot find any good in Perry and his tribe. I honestly think his character changed the most throughout this book, and I loved watching him being put in his place and then giving some sass right back. It often helped to break the tension, and was understated enough that it didn't seem out of place. I could talk about Roar all day (he's my absolute favorite character in the whole series), but I thought that him trying to work through the grief of losing Liv was really interesting and it felt so real. 

I also enjoyed learning more about the Aether and the Still Blue and the Komodo. You'd think that by this point there wouldn't be much world-building left to do. But Rossi really surprised me by expanding the world even further and giving a richer history and a fuller understanding of things. I have very few unanswered questions left about the world, and I think that made the ending that much more enjoyable.

Like the rest of the series, this book is pretty fast-paced. Once Perry and Aria and crew get into the action, it's pretty much non-stop until the end. I found myself not wanting to put this book down, and ended up staying up into the wee hours of the morning trying to find out what was going to happen next! I'm so sad that Perry and Aria's story is over now, but I am glad it ended the way it did. I felt all of the feels, and definitely came out of it satisfied with the story.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has read the other books in this series. You do NOT want to miss this thrilling, beautiful conclusion! I would also recommend this series to anyone looking for a futuristic dystopian YA book. Especially fans of sci-fi/fantasy. I think readers who enjoyed The Maze Runner will really like this book too. 5/5!


  --Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment