Saturday, September 21, 2013

Of Poseidon (Of Poseidon #1) by Anna Banks - Paul's REVIEW

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Of Poseidon
Author: Anna Banks
Year Published: 2012

My PRE READING
Ashley's PRE READING
Ashley's REVIEW
Ashley's REVIEW of Legacy Lost (#0.5)
Ashley's REVIEW of The Stranger (#0.6)

Synopsis: Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.

Review: Ohmysweetgoodness. That's what the protagonist Emma would say and I think it accurately represents my feelings. It's such an innocent expletive. And that's what this book is, a lot of fun. It has a similar feel to the Paranormalcy series by Kiersten White. They are fun supernatural YA with young female protagonists whose lives completely change.


This book was light and fun. Although, the beginning was a lot darker than I expected it to be. There's romance. There's humor. But there's none of that annoying constant angst you find in some YA.

I liked the world building, however light it was. The mermaids...or rather Syrena as they prefer to be called...were interesting. Some things I had to leave my marine biology degree behind and just accept the world Banks created.

The book is written in two POVs and I just could not get into it. Emma's chapters are in first person and Galen's are in third. It confused me, especially when I would first pick up the book and not realize whose chapter it was.

Overall I did enjoy it. Easy read. Fun. Ocean adventures. Royalty. Nothing hard to follow. Slight twists, but nothing too far fetched. I give this book a 3.5/5 and I will be reading its sequel soon!


-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment