Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Of Poseidon (Of Poseidon #1) by Anna Banks - Ashley's Pre-Reading

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Of Poseidon
Author: Anna Banks
Year Published: 2012

Synopsis: 
Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...


Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.

Why?: I think mermaids are absolutely fascinating. I love the different takes on The Little Mermaid, and I really love seeing how authors take such a popular mythical creature and turn it into something new and different. I'm really looking forward to a YA series solely about mermaids, with a little bit of fantasy and mythology and romance thrown in. I can't wait to see how all of these things are twisted into one story! 

Expectations: I've heard such good things about this book that I have pretty high expectations for it. Definitely a swoon-worthy prince, complete with romance. I'm also pretty excited that it's told from two perspectives, so I'm expecting there to be confusion and mystery and all of that jazz from both sides. And the description says that there's humor... so I also expect to laugh quite a bit. 

Judging a book by its cover: I think this cover is actually pretty fantastic. It's not flashy or showy, but it's definitely very elegant. I love that you can totally guess this is a mermaid book, but it's not obnoxious about it. And the girl still looks human - there's no big fin or seashell bra or anything. If I saw this on a shelf in a bookstore or a library, I'd totally pick it up. Bravo, cover artist. Bravo.


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment