Wednesday, August 14, 2013

How They Met, and Other Stories by David Levithan - Ashley's Pre-Reading

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: How They Met, and Other Stories
Author: David Levithan
Year Published: 2008

Paul's Review

Synopsis: 
Where Did They Meet?


It was on a plane. It was at Starbucks. It was in physics class. It was during the war.

How Did They Meet?

It was a setup. It was completely random. They were dancing. One of them ordered a pizza and the other showed up.

What Happened?

It was instant. It took time. It was a disaster. It lasted.

In this new gathering of stories, award-winning author David Levithan writes all about love, and about all kinds of love. From aching for the one you pine for to (reluctantly) being the one pined after, from standing up and speaking up for the one you love to the pure joy and happiness delivered on the smile of someone else, these stories explore the mysterious magnetism that draws people together in ways both expected and unexpected.

Love is a varied, complicated, addictive, volatile, scary, wonderful thing ... and it's all on display in How They Met, and Other Stories.

Why?: I've really enjoyed everything else I've read by David Levithan, so I was pretty excited when I found out he wrote a collection of short stories. I love short stories, and I love David Levithan, so I'm pretty sure this is going to be made of lots of win.

Expectations: I expect some cute little stories about love and such. I think the stories will showcase all the different facets of love, so I think it will be interesting to see the situations that are presented. I'm not sure what else to expect though, so hopefully I'll be surprised by what I find!

Judging a book by its cover: I like the symbolism of the magnets, but that's pretty much all I like about this cover. I'm not a huge fan of orange covers (they make me think the book is about Halloween or something), so I'm not sure I would pick it up if I saw it on a shelf somewhere. It's just not my type of cover. 


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment