Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Asunder (Newsoul #2) by Jodi Meadows - Ashley's Review

My Pre-Reading
Paul's Review
Paul's Pre-Reading

Title: Asunder 
Author: Jodi Meadows
Year Published: 2013
 
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Synopsis: DARKSOULS
Ana has always been the only one. Asunder. Apart. But after Templedark, when many residents of Heart were lost forever, some hold Ana responsible for the darksouls–and the newsouls who may be born in their place.

SHADOWS
Many are afraid of Ana’s presence, a constant reminder of unstoppable changes and the unknown. When sylph begin behaving differently toward her and people turn violent, Ana must learn to stand up not only for herself but for those who cannot stand up for themselves.

LOVE
Ana was told that nosouls can’t love. But newsouls? More than anything, she wants to live and love as an equal among the citizens of Heart, but even when Sam professes his deepest feelings, it seems impossible to overcome a lifetime of rejection.

In this second book in the Newsoul trilogy, Ana discovers the truth about reincarnation and will have to find a way to embrace love and make her young life meaningful. Once again, Jodi Meadows explores the extraordinary beauty and shadowed depths of the soul in a story equal parts epic romance and captivating fantasy.


Review: I wish I had reread Incarnate before I started this book. When I started Asunder, I had completely forgotten who some of the characters were, what had happened to them, and pretty much everything except for the really important things. I think I probably would have gotten into this so much quicker and easier if I had remembered what was even going on. That being said, the way that Meadows reminds you what went down last time was done very well. It didn't seem overwhelming or like she was telling you "ok, this this and this happened." It was more Ana remembering. Which is totally believable. 


I loved how music was incorporated into this story again. As a musician, it's always interesting to see how music impacts characters and how much people rely on it. If I were Sam, I would have been absolutely devastated if someone had done to me what they do to him. And then I would probably go on a rampage. I love how Ana goes from listening to music to playing it to composing it, and I'm super jealous that she can pick all of that up so quickly.
Meadows' world building skills are absolutely extraordinary. I mean, I thought I knew a lot about the world by the end of Incarnate. But she just keeps throwing new things at me, and I love all of them. I was really excited when I realized that there would be a lot of sylph in this book as well, because I had so many questions about them at the end of Incarnate. And I was not disappointed at all! I still have questions, but they're new ones. I also really enjoyed how religion and romance are portrayed in this book. Especially when the truth about Janan is revealed. Or part of it, anyway.

Oh, and Cris. I loved Cris and his roses. I don't like Stef as much anymore, but I can understand why she does and says the things she does. But Cris... I wish we had seen more of him!

One of my only gripes about this book was that Ana mentions being "asunder" way too often. By the end, I wanted to take that word and cram it down her throat so many times. I understand it's a big part of Ana and of the story, but good grief. Maybe if the title of the book was something else it wouldn't have bothered me so much, but I like subtler reasons for books being named what they are.

Overall, I would totally recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Incarnate. I would also recommend the series to anyone who enjoys fantasy books filled with romance, mystery, and adventure. A very strong 4/5 on this one! 



--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment