Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer - Paul's Review


Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

My CINDER Review
Ashley's CINDER Review

Title: Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles #2)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Year Published: 2013

Review: There are quite a few perspectives in this book. It took me a little while to get into each of the stories, but once I knew all the characters I was absolutely hooked! Cinder is back and we meet Scarlet. There are also a few chapters following Prince Kai and the Lunar Queen. 

Each of the stories are separate for the most of the novel, but they all come together really nicely in the end. I also like the hints of future characters and plot lines. Each of the books in this series are based off of known fairytales, but the stories aren't predictable or made up of obvious formulas. It's more interesting to see how Meyer manages to hint at and play with the themes of the original fairytale. 

Once the characters from the different stories interact, it feels like an awesome larger ensembled tv show, like something Joss Whedon would excel at. If these books are ever made into movies, Joss Whedon would do an amazing job!

In this book, we get to see more of the world introduced in Cinder. I like how some of the normally magic and supernatural elements of the fairytales are portrayed in a more scientific way. The Loyal Soldiers to the Order of the Pack were cool. Wolf, as a character, stays away from the modern wolf love interest-type that has become popular in YA recently. 

Thorne is another male character introduced that adds a nice contrast to the other characters, especially Cinder. He is debonair and rogue. I am looking forward to see what part he will play in the Rapunzel retelling. In the original story, the prince has a run-in with thorns. 

My favorite side character was Iko, the robot. I love her personality and what she becomes in this book. 

This is one of the best series in YA right now. I am definitely looking forward to Cress, which won't be out until 2014!

I give this book a 5/5 and I recommend this series to anyone interested in sci-fi, fairytale retellings, and cool ensemble stories. But, I think anyone who enjoys reading will enjoy this series!

-PAUL


No comments:

Post a Comment