Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater - Ashley's Review

*I received this book as an eARC from Scholastic Press on NetGalley in exchange for a fair review*

My Pre-Reading

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Having never read anything by Maggie Stiefvater, I wasn't really sure what the expect from this book. I figured it would be a good story with a huge mystery that needed to be solved, and I wasn't disappointed. But it was also more than that, and I really enjoyed pretty much everything about The Raven Boys. Especially all of the little twists and turns that keep things interesting.

I thought that all of the characters were very well developed, especially Gansey and his friends. The further into the book you get, the more likable and more fleshed out the boys become. While I wasn't really a huge Gansey fan at first, I really grew to appreciate and like him by the end. Adam was my favorite Raven Boy though, since he is so completely different from the other boys and has to go through so many trials and hardships to get to where he is.

Blue isn't a very dynamic character, but she does change a little bit throughout the course of the story, and I thought that her quick wit really played a huge role in the development of the boys. The mystery surrounding Blue's powers, and her family, it really interesting, and I hope to find out more about why Blue only amplifies energy for others but can't channel it herself. Also, I want to know more about her family!

There were some parts when I felt like the book started to drag, but then Stiefvater would come back and through another wrench into the mix to pick up the pace again.   And then every time I felt like I had too many questions and not enough answers, I would get enough of an answer to stay interested and want to find out more. There were still so many questions left unanswered though, and definitely quite a bit of set-up for the rest of the series. I'm excited to find out what happens next!


I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a good kind of supernatural book. Definitely for those looking for a book with the magic and conflict and mystery. I would give this a 4/5.


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment