Friday, December 7, 2012

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Volume One- Force Storm (Paul's Review)

***eARC provided by Dark Horse Comics on netgalley***

Title: Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Volume One - Force Storm
Author: John Ostrander
Year Published: 2012

***Release Date: December 12, 2012***

Review: The only comic book series I have consistently read since I was a kid is Star Wars. I would save up my money to get the trade paperbacks of the Clone Wars as they came out. Recently, I have fallen behind. I read the first few volumes of the Legacy series and really liked John Ostrander's writing. When I heard about the Dawn of the Jedi series, I was very excited to get back into the Star Wars world. 

This series takes place 36,453 years before the battle of Yavin. There is no separation of the Jedi between light and dark or Jedi and Sith. The Jedi are known as the Je'daii. They don't even use lightsabers! They have swords. Ostrander did a good job of simplifying the technology. Everything takes place within one solar system. There is an outside force, though.

I liked how the many species I am familiar with from the Star Wars universe appear. The main cast is diverse and full of many interesting characters. Some classic Star Wars tropes are played with, but I can tell these characters will pave their own paths. 

I really enjoyed the art work. Star Wars comics always find a way to incorporate the original feel of the movies, having things in the background that catch your eye. This makes the world richer and fuller. 

I look forward to continuing to read the Dawn of the Jedi series. I may have to go to my local comic store and pick up the individuals as I don't know if I'll be able to wait for the trade paperbacks. 

I give Volume One a 4/5. I can't wait to see where these characters go!

-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment