Monday, October 22, 2012

Star Wars: Agent of the Empire Volume One - Iron Eclipse (Paul's Review)


***eARC provided by Dark Horse Comics on netgalley***

Title: Star Wars: Agent of the Empire Volume One - Iron Eclipse
Author: John Ostrander
Year Published: 2012

***Release Date: October 24, 2012***



Review: Most of the Star Wars comics I have read take place before the Original Trilogy. I really liked the Republic and Clone Wars series. This series takes place between Episodes 3 and 4! There isn't much media from this era, leaving plenty of untold stories. I am still hoping for the live-action Star Wars tv show that has been talked about for years.

The Empire is in control, but this series takes a different perspective. Instead of seeing the evils of the Empire through the Rebels' eyes, our protagonist is employed by the Empire. And his job is pretty much the James Bond of the Star Wars universe. I really enjoyed the way the writer and illustrator played with this secret agent feel. The sex appeal, gun fights, and class are all there. 

As you can see from the cover, two of your favorite smugglers also make a cameo. I liked the way they were introduced into the story and look forward to other cameos as the series continues. 

Johan Cross, the secret agent I've mentioned, has his own way of doing things. He also has an android with boobs named IN-GA 44. I really liked all the supporting cast, ranging from the sole alien mechanic to the rich Stark heiress. This first volume introduced a really fun vibe. I am looking forward to reading the rest of this series. I give this first volume a 4/5.

-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment