Sunday, September 30, 2012

Paul's Partials Review

My Pre Reading Post

REVIEW: 

I enjoy reading dystopian books and due to the current trend in YA, there are plenty of them out there. I like how dystopian books take our current culture and evaluate what could  happen if something catastrophic took place. In Partials, 99.9% of the population is dead. A deadly virus known a RM was released. This ended a war with the "Partials", genetically engineered soldiers. 

Before reading this I thought there may be some similarities to the Battlestar Galactica series. There were some. The Partials look exactly like humans so anyone could be a Partial. Also, the human race is almost extinct. The government does all it can to try and increase the human population, going as far as enacting the Hope Act in which all 18 year old females are required to get pregnant. 

I liked how Wells addressed survival and freedom. There were some times that I wished he would have shown more and let me infer my own opinions. Many things were detailed out. It wasn't until the last third of the book that I really got into it. The start of the book moved slowly. There was a lot of details given of the government and science/biology. I enjoyed the biology and virology, but I don't know if a casual reader would. 

There were a lot of characters introduced at the beginning of the novel. Sometimes it took me a minute to remember who someone was. 

I really liked the world building in this novel. I felt like it was very believable. The differences between the Partials and the humans were also very interesting. I liked the way Wells incorporated diversity into the humans left alive. The protagonist is described as mostly Indian. Although, the front cover looks awfully Caucasian to me. I guess she may be very light skinned.

The terrorist group in this novel is known as "The Voice". It took me at least half of the novel to stop imagining Christina Aguilera pushing a red button. 

The romance in this novel is not overpowering. It was okay. I like where the novel ended with it. 

Overall, I enjoyed this novel, but it started slow and I didn't get into it until the end. I will definitely be reading the prequel novella and sequel. I give this book a 3/5

-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment