Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Paul's Fathomless Review

Pre Reading

I read this book in less than a day! I read the prologue and the first chapters before bed and then I read the rest of the book the next day.

This is my favorite of Pearce's Fairytale Retellings so far. I may be partially biased as I have a degree in marine biology and half of this novel takes place under the sea.

After reading this, I both want to rewatch Disney's The Little Mermaid and read the original story by Hans Christian Andersen. Pearce always does such a nice job recreating a well known story.

Another reason I enjoyed this book so much was the amount of moral quandaries. There was less action and more thinking. These mermaids that Pearce has created are so interesting. They are far from Ariel, yet I wondered if Pearce was referencing her with Molly's red hair. The mermaids slowly lose their self, going through many new names before merely drifting away to an unknown destination, in which many think involves Angels.

Pearce has said that this book is written in 2.5 perspectives. It was done perfectly. I liked the way she did it and I won't reveal any more.

The connection to the other books is so subtle. Many books written as companions make the references very bold and obvious. In Pearce's works you have to catch them on your own. They may be references to siblings, locations, or even last names. The mythology of the worlds is all the same and in each companion novel, it becomes more in depth. I really enjoyed what was revealed about these pseudo-mermaids towards the end of the novel.

Celia was a wonderful protagonist. I liked her relationship with her fellow triplet sisters. Their powers and the way they use them is also very cool. Each can see either the past, present, or future when they touch someone. Celia sees the past.

Jude was an excellent replacement to Prince Eric, although I would have liked some more dancing. He is an indie musician, barely getting through life. I like how the relationships in this novel played out.

Lo was another very interesting character. I love when I am unsure how I feel about a character throughout a novel until the very end.

Overall, I loved this book. I am looking forward to Pearce's next untitled Fairytale Retelling of The Snow Queen. I know that story is very close to her and I think she will excellently tell it. Until then, I am going to have to read Purity soon, as it is the only Jackson Pearce novel I have to read.

I give this book a 5/5. If you have not read Sisters Red or Sweetly, you should definitely look into this series. This novel could be read alone, but I think the knowledge of the two previous novels enhances it.

-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment