Saturday, September 29, 2012

Paul's The Assassin's Curse Review

*I received this as an eARC from Strange Chemistry on Netgalley.com*

Pre Reading

RELEASE DATE: October 2, 2012 (THIS TUESDAY)

Review: This was a fun adventure story that took a pirate and an assassin across a wonderful world of desert and ocean. My favorite part of this book was the world building. Not only are the geographical locales beautiful, but the magic of the world is very interesting. Different magic users conjure their magic from different elements, like water, earth, or blood. I always like when a world is bigger than the book itself. Many interesting things were just mentioned off hand that I wanted to know more about. Hopefully I will see them in the sequel(s). 

This book is told in first person from the perspective of Ananna, a young pirate. Her grammar is definitely reflective of her upbringing. I understand why the author chose to do this, but I found it very distracting. Many times I was enamored by a scene and then a double negative appeared and I was completely taken out of the world. The same took place with some unusual contractions and shortened words that took me some time to figure out. 

I also found Ananna to be slightly annoying at times. She would go against suggestions for no apparent reason. She rarely heeded warnings. Naji, the assassin, was also slightly annoying in that he would never answer questions, but I found him more understandable. 

I wanted this book to keep going after my kindle said 100%. I wish the ending would have been less a beginning to a new adventure. It seems like so much happened in this novel just to be where it is at the end. I wanted to feel more resolved. 

I definitely will be reading the sequel, The Pirate's Wish, when it comes out sometime next year. I give this novel a 4/5. The world building and characters were good enough to overcome Ananna's poor education.

-PAUL 

No comments:

Post a Comment