Sunday, July 8, 2012

Ashley's July Book: Tiger Lily



Title:
Tiger Lily
Author: Jodi Lynn Anderson
Year Published: 2012

Synopsis: 15 year old Tiger Lily, proud and fierce, wild and misunderstood, doesn't believe in love stories or happy endings. Then she meets the teenage Peter Pan in the forbidden woods of Neverland, and immediately falls under his spell. Peter is unlike anyone she's ever known. Impetuous and brave, big-hearted but hard to reach, he both scares and enthralls her. As the leader of the Lost Boys, the most fearsome of Neverland's inhabitants, Peter is an unthinkable match for Tiger Lily.

Soon, she is risking everything - her family, her future - to be with the haunted, hunted, courageous boy who loves her. When - as a punishment for her rebellious ways - she is faced with marriage to a terrible man in her own tribe, she must choose between the life she's always known and running away to an uncertain future with Peter.

With enemies threatening to tear them apart, the lovers seem doomed. But it's the arrival of Wendy Darling, an English girl who's everything Tiger Lily is not, that leads Tiger Lily to discover that the most dangerous enemies can live inside even the most loyal and loving heart.

Why?: I love re-tellings of old stories, and well known stories told from different perspectives or about minor characters rewritten as main characters. I've also always been intrigued by Tiger Lily - why is Peter Pan so attached to her? Who even is she? Where does she come from? I've heard such good reviews about this book that I figured I should give it a shot.

Expectations: I expect this to be different from every story of Peter Pan currently out there. I think Wendy will be present, but only a little bit. I expect, and I hope, that Tiger Lily will be given more depth, and that it will easier to relate to her character than it has been in the current versions of the story of Peter Pan.

Judging a book by its cover: I think this cover is gorgeous. I love that it looks like a fairy (maybe Tinker Bell?), but like a flower at the same time. The orange and black remind me of a tiger lily.


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment